Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Signing in from Los Angeles  (Read 6861 times)

Odinson

• 4wd Pts: 6
  • 2009 Xterra 4x4
Signing in from Los Angeles
« on: December 24, 2012, 05:21:47 PM »
Hail!

New to the club and new to the Xterra. Loved em since day one and finally went out, dropped 20k and came out with a certified pre-owned 2009 4x4. Automatic (it's also my daily driver), just threw some Cooper Discovery AT3 tires on it (pictures to come soon). Stock as it stands but definitely hoping to beef him up in 2013

In the three months I've owned it, we've gone offroading in California City during Wasteland Weekend, and down through the deserts south-east of Palm Springs for our bi-monthly firearm training weekend. It has performed more than admirably, especially in the washouts - hit 40mph for a good 5-7 minutes of haulin' ass through soft sand, under dying trees and over rough bushes. Anyone  looking to group up for some offroad adventuring, definitely let me know!

Gotta get some skid plates, roof lights and eventually a lift. Wondering if anyone knows what a cost'll be for 2-3 inch suspension lift?

Hope all is well with you guys and Happy Holidays!

- Joey
facebook.com/sirion
facebook.com/jlinahon
- "Let us live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." - Mark Twain

LupinOne

• 4wd Pts: 13
Re: Signing in from Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 09:27:44 PM »
Welcome fellow Asgardian!

This is a great group and lots of good people here to advise you as you build out your X!  Hope to see you on the trails soon!

Lupin
John "LupinOne"
KF6BRF

"Too close for missiles, switching to 4 low..."

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 10:01:05 PM »
Welcome from Pasadena. Hit me up for any wheeling or wrenching..
Danny

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 06:28:18 AM »
X2  Welcome to SCCX  Hope to see on the trail real soon.....
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 08:10:14 AM »
Welcome to SCCX...a great group of members/friends here.

As far as your lift question, take a spin through the Display Case area here to get the specs on some of the members rigs.  There are photos and testimonials for a variety of suspension lift installations.

My personal experience has been with PRG Products, and their quality is unparalleled.  Their customer service went through some growing pains (keep in mind the Xterras are a purpose built SUV, not meant to compete with the flourishing Jeep aftermarket), but has improved in recent months.

I installed both a PRG 2" spacer/shackle lift, upgraded a year later to the PRG Advanced 4WD lift kit (3-3.5" of lift), and then in August of 2012 did a Titan Swap suspension conversion.

The 2" PML (poor man's lift) was a great, inexpensive option while I figured out what the other members were running successfully.  It carried me through Big Bear, two trips to Moab, Utah, many trips to Anza Borrego, etc.  This kit gave me the fender clearance to run larger tires (285/75/16's, or 32" tires) as well as a little more rear articulation with the rear sway bar removed.  The on road performance was not compromised, except for a bit of what is referred to as "coil bucket" contact over speed bumps.

This lift cost me $278 delivered, and I installed it myself in about 5 hours.  The extended time was due to several factors, inexperience, several over torqued nuts/bolts by Nissan, and completing the task solo.  That could have been cut in half with another person to help and air tools.  As a side note, Greg Gagnon, the owner of PRG products, answered his phone that Saturday to help a noob in need (me  :D) answer a question about his shackles.  This was in April of 2010.

There are many lift manufacturers on the market now, Nisstec, Old Man Emu (OME), 4x4 Parts.com, etc.  Opinions are like elbows...everyone's got them... ;)

Check out the boards/threads here and also over at TheNewX.org.

Good luck, and very much looking forward to meeting you on the trail soon.

John/GhostX
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Odinson

• 2009 Xterra 4x4
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 12:39:17 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome gents. Definitely hope to hit some trails soon, Danny!

Welcome fellow Asgardian! This is a great group and lots of good people here to advise you as you build out your X! Hope to see you on the trails soon! Lupin
Hail! Glad to hear it - seem a great bunch from what I've read. And glad the name went noticed.  ;D Pagans slipping in all around, these days.

I installed both a PRG 2" spacer/shackle lift, upgraded a year later to the PRG Advanced 4WD lift kit (3-3.5" of lift), and then in August of 2012 did a Titan Swap suspension conversion.

The 2" PML (poor man's lift) was a great, inexpensive option while I figured out what the other members were running successfully.  It carried me through Big Bear, two trips to Moab, Utah, many trips to Anza Borrego, etc.  This kit gave me the fender clearance to run larger tires (285/75/16's, or 32" tires) as well as a little more rear articulation with the rear sway bar removed.  The on road performance was not compromised, except for a bit of what is referred to as "coil bucket" contact over speed bumps.
John/GhostX

The info is much appreciated, John! Quickly looking into PRG now and it seems a solid first step - a pml will be just the ticket, seeing as music is my passion and the passion doesn't pay, haha. I've got a friend who has worked Nissan's for years so I'll have help setting up a suspension lift and eventually looking to get an RLC front end spot welded.

Thanks again guys!
- "Let us live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." - Mark Twain

Odinson

• 2009 Xterra 4x4
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
Update - I have and will soon be installing:

2" Calmini Spacer / Shackle lift
AOE 4x4 Sliders
OEM Skids
Monroe Shocks & OEM Off Road coilovers

With the skids, I'm going to attempt to double up two OEM sets by bedlining the hell out of one side and slapping the twin on top, hold down with C clamps and see if it'll stick together and not rattle / get filled with water and mud - cheap skids ftw!

The Monroe's will eventually be replaced with Bils and kept as backups. Also got 31" Cooper ATs installed, which have proven quite capable through mud, snow and more.

Got the required goodies for an axe and shovel mount to standard roof rails as well as a mechanic's tool set to keep in the truck.

I don't want to name names but every piece listed is 2nd hand from an SCCX member and you guys have been beyond kind in helping me out with equipment at great prices. This club is amazing!! Can't wait to get this all installed & hit the trails.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 11:36:50 AM »
Well done Joey!  Be sure to post up your pics when you are done.  Before and after you get them all dirty. ;)
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

shi819

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 12:23:36 PM »
Welcome. :) Hope to see you on the trails soon.
~Shi