Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Installing lift blocks  (Read 5359 times)

Ampaez36

• 4wd Pts: 0
    • 2002 Xterra SE Supercharged
Installing lift blocks
« on: July 11, 2017, 10:26:25 AM »
Hi guys, do you guys know someone or a place that could help me or install 2 inch lift blocks for me in OC? Also how much would it cost for them to install it? Is there any way I could help as I enjoy working on my car. If you guys can help, or know someone in OC that can help or do it for me let me know. Thanks!

beedee

Re: Installing lift blocks
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 02:22:33 PM »
Are you talking about spacers that you want to mount on top of your front OEM coils? If so, a shop will probably charge about $100 per side. There are plenty of How-to's on the subject on YouTube and on Thenewx.org, although the Photobucket links may be a goner with their recent shenanigans. Do you have any tools at home? Ive done it a few times now and it certainly helps having another set of hands to help with certain parts of it. On average it takes about 30-45 minutes to do the first side (if it is your first time, and you don't run into any issues) and usually half as long to do the other side.

**edit** i just saw you have a first gen, i've never worked on a first gen. ignore everything i just wrote.  :-\

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 04:14:52 PM »
If you're talking rear suspension, I believe the first gen is still spring under axle, blocks will lower you. If you're talking front, you'll need to get your lift through torsion bar adjustment/replacement. First gen guys correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 04:41:25 PM »
If you're talking rear suspension, I believe the first gen is still spring under axle, blocks will lower you. If you're talking front, you'll need to get your lift through torsion bar adjustment/replacement. First gen guys correct me if I'm wrong.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Correct, still a spring under axle.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 05:30:16 PM »
Lift blocks will get you no where, 1st gen Xterra mild front lift is free.99, just need to reindex the torsion bars for 1.5" of lift, over 1.5" you will need new UCA to maintain a decent ride.  For the rear you can do shackles or AAL, either will normally get you about 1.5" of lift, sometimes more sometimes less, all depends on the condition of your rear springs.

Also, installing lift blocks on leaf springs is bad news, even though it's cheap, it's really a poor way of lifting and wears the springs out from axle wrap.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Ampaez36

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »
Lift blocks will get you no where, 1st gen Xterra mild front lift is free.99, just need to reindex the torsion bars for 1.5" of lift, over 1.5" you will need new UCA to maintain a decent ride.  For the rear you can do shackles or AAL, either will normally get you about 1.5" of lift, sometimes more sometimes less, all depends on the condition of your rear springs.

Also, installing lift blocks on leaf springs is bad news, even though it's cheap, it's really a poor way of lifting and wears the springs out from axle wrap.
So I shouldn't use the blocks? I'm mostly just looking for a body lift, I thought blocks were used for that. So the way to go would be indexing the torsion bar and an AAL for my lift?

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 04:48:33 PM »
So I shouldn't use the blocks? I'm mostly just looking for a body lift, I thought blocks were used for that. So the way to go would be indexing the torsion bar and an AAL for my lift?

body lift is completely different from suspension lift. Jordan was referring to suspension lift. Body lift will consists of little rubber/plastic pucks thats replaces the rubber mounts to the frame. take a look at the link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-04-Nissan-Xterra-2-inch-body-lift-with-bumper-bracket-/332296231175?hash=item4d5e661907:g:07AAAOSwYlRZIk7F&vxp=mtr

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 10:23:37 AM »
not sure why you would want to do a body lift before doing a suspension lift other than a body lift will allow you to clear 33" tires on the first gen X. 

If you want the truck to be a little bit higher, a suspension lift is much better than a body lift as lifting the suspension will add clearance under the frame while a body lift just lifts the body off the frame, leaving the frame and suspension at stock height to hit rocks and such.
Jordan - K6XTE

Ampaez36

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »
not sure why you would want to do a body lift before doing a suspension lift other than a body lift will allow you to clear 33" tires on the first gen X. 

If you want the truck to be a little bit higher, a suspension lift is much better than a body lift as lifting the suspension will add clearance under the frame while a body lift just lifts the body off the frame, leaving the frame and suspension at stock height to hit rocks and such.
That's exactly why I'm doing a body lift. I mainly just want to be able to fit 33s. I'm planning on doing a suspension lift later, unless you guys think it's wiser to do the suspension lift now and do the body lift and larger tires later.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -666
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 10:07:28 PM »
Suspension First  >:D Trust Knightrider
worth every $$
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
ok, a 2" body lift will solve some of your problems with the tires rubbing but you will still get some depending on the wheels your running(offset/backspace and width), and lack of having any lift.  doing a 1.5" lift will help with most of the rubbing issues.

For $70 you can lift the suspension 1.5", a pair of shackles is all you really need. http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981298-xterra-rear-lift-shackles.html

the front lift is free, just need to reindex the torsion bars til you get the lift you're after and bob's your uncle.  If you don't do the suspension lift, it won't look very good and you would honestly be better off just sticking with a 32" tire.
Jordan - K6XTE