Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Off road driving training nearby?  (Read 4784 times)

CraigBos

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
Off road driving training nearby?
« on: August 27, 2017, 10:34:12 PM »
In this post, I saw a link to 4x4training.com.  Browsed around their site, and thought their training offerings looked interesting.  I did get some off road driving instruction decades ago, but it's probably a good idea to refresh.

So, I'm thinking about signing up for their "Getting Started" clinics, day 1 and day 2.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about this outfit?  I'd love to know.

Couple of other ideas from the Intertubes:

I'd appreciate any thoughts and info.  Thanks!
K6BOS - Craig

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Off road driving training nearby?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 04:33:20 AM »
Often times the Parks Service will do free training clinics listed under the Adopt a Trail section. The only one I'm aware of right now is a chain saw cert class and I "believe" there is a first aid class coming up. I've not taken nor do I have any knowledge about the training programs you listed but they may very well be a great way to learn new techniques or polish up your skills. It's ridikillis hot in the desert right now but when it cools off I'm quite sure the guys would get together for some desert runs. It's super easy to set up winching, recovery basics or even different ways to tackle different problems. That's a great place to hone your skills and ask a lot of questions if you wanted to. There is a lot of knowledge floating around this place be it historical, mechanical, safe off roading skills, heck we even have some pretty amazing trailside chefs. Show up to some trips, help turn some wrenches etc and you will see there is always someone wiling to go on a run tailored to your needs.
Isaiah 6:8

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 06:36:29 AM »
Bill Burke has some highly recommended training classes:

http://bb4wa.com/

Attending an event like Expo West might also glean some results.  Several of the American Adventurist principals (Dave, Tango Blue, etc.) are all trained recovery experts.

MRV has also featured recovery classes in years past.

KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »
In all seriousness....come to an SCCX excursion.

My first excusion I sat shotgun in the Ghost

But, you could also tag along in your rig.  Take the easy route; listen to the coms (CB!), and watch and learn.  I learn a ton more from hands on type stuff rather than someone preaching to me.....and most of the local excursions will have 2wd/green trails that are basically dirt roads. 

My .02

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »
And if you're in 4LO...and the 4LO light is blinking...you're still in 4HI.  Stop.  Put the transmission in neutral, wait for the transfer case "clunk," 4LO light will illuminate solid...and you are now in 4LO.

I drove several trails in Moab...in 4HI...with this issue.  :D :D :D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

CraigBos

• 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 08:54:21 PM »
In all seriousness....come to an SCCX excursion.

Did it (actually, instigated it).  Will do it again.
K6BOS - Craig

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 11:19:34 PM »
Did it (actually, instigated it).  Will do it again.
^^^^^^
I may be a bad Influence  >:D
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 04:21:56 AM »
^^^^^^
I may be a bad Influence  >:D

You...................Naaaahhh.

CraigBos

• 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 06:16:06 PM »
I ended up doing a training with Badlands Offroad Adventures, Inc. 

I decided to do this, rather than learn on the trail because, 1.  I thought someone teaching it for money would have increased experience and rigor with that kind of instruction, and 2. because I'd rather it was someone's job to help the newbie, rather than being "that guy" who's a needy burden on people.

Overall, I'm really happy I did it, and fear now I have the bug.  I can tell because I'm really interested now in 33s and a lift.  Eeeesh.

The class was day 1 of Getting Started Offroad.  The first half was classroom instruction at the Borrego Springs Chamber of Commerce.  After lunch we went to a play area just east of town. 

We played around here:

See also this live map.

There were a bunch of Jeeps, a couple of 4Runners, this giant 4WD van, and me.

The Jeeps did great, as did the van, amazingly.  The 4Runners had issues, though...

Here was my E-Ticket ride, wheee!

(For the record, I don't think I had the brakes locked up at all, but whatever, it was a great time.)

I was pretty wiped out from a busy week, otherwise I would have done day 2 right then.  As it is, I'll probably go back sometime soon.
K6BOS - Craig

Celt

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 06:33:09 PM »
Looks like you had a great time out there. Don't worry about being "That guy" as we were all there once and probably will be again when something breaks and help is needed. I've found that by just getting out there and doing it you can make some really great friends and have a blast along the way. Were going out there on the 11th if you are interested. I'm not sure if there is still room or not as it's not my run. It doesn't cost anything, you just have to sign up through ABDNHA, I posted the link below if you are interested.

http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php?topic=4482.0

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 07:09:52 PM »
Well done Craig.  Gaining confidence without gaining damage is always a good thing ;) 
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO