Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Otay mountain truck trail  (Read 3851 times)

ShockBlue_Scott

• 4wd Pts: 6
    • 2002 Xterra
Otay mountain truck trail
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:34:56 AM »
Good morning!

First I wanna say this isn't an excursion planning post. I wanna get everyone's opinion or experience on Otay Mountain Truck Trail. I did a search and nothing came up. My father in law bought a brand new JK just recently an were thinking about a trip up there when he gets back from his business trip.

So my real question would be, would his stock JK and my stock X be fine? I've only done the PML in the front to level her out and am rolling on Grabber AT2. We should be okay right?
Scott
2002 Nissan Xterra Shock Blue
City Heights, San Diego CA

Xtracrispy

• 4wd Pts: 2
Re: Otay mountain truck trail
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »
It's a pretty easy trail. Mostly maintained with some bumps and washboards. It's used a lot by Border Patrol so expect some traffic. Parts of it are narrow with big dropoffs. Nice view, especially if it's a clear day.

The Otay side was closed and locked(BP gate) last time I tried going through(down by Donovan prison) but I've been through when it's open too. So plan to go from the East(Marron Valley Rd. in Dulzura) and be prepared to double back on your way out(sometimes BP is cool and will let you through the gate, if they are around).

At the top where the towers are, there is a 3-way intersection. I've never been down the right(going more north), only the left(south). A short ways past th intersection to the south are some old concrete structures. I forget the history on them but they are pretty cool to hike around and check out.

I've been up there a few times so feel free to ask any more questions. :)

ShockBlue_Scott

• 2002 Xterra
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:23:37 PM »
I've read on dirtopia.com that if you hang a right at the gate follow the road then forge a small creek you'll be able to exit out right bu Donovan Prison.

So if you head to the south this takes you out by Donovan Prison? No idea what the road is like to the north?
Scott

Xtracrispy

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:48:21 PM »
That may be, didn't really spend any time looking for an alternate route.

Correct, if you are driving on the mountain from East to West, and take the fork by the towers south, it will take you down the hill to Donovan.

I have never been the north way, but the bit you can see appears to be similar to the rest of the road. I think it takes you down to the 1000 Trails Pio Pico campsite, or around that area. No idea about gates though.

There are a lot of little side spurs along the way, some are a little more difficult but still generally no problem for even a stock X.

ShockBlue_Scott

• 2002 Xterra
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 07:54:45 AM »
Sweet thank you very much!!!
Scott