Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Nisstec or PRG, who and why...  (Read 5413 times)

ShockBlue_Scott

• 4wd Pts: 6
    • 2002 Xterra
Nisstec or PRG, who and why...
« on: October 10, 2017, 05:40:04 AM »
I am looking at getting a 2006 Xterra and shopping for a lift kit for it. Right now I am looking at either the PRG kit with the spacer/AAL and the same from Nisstec. Does anyone have experience with both or heard grumblings about either one?

Scott
Scott
2002 Nissan Xterra Shock Blue
City Heights, San Diego CA

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re: Nisstec or PRG, who and why...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 09:09:03 AM »
That's a rough one, as I've never had problems with PRG but some people have.  I've also had no problems with Nisstec, until recently, when they started talking bad about other vendors and lift solutions, on a public forum.  People have problems with communication from PRG and long lead times, I've never had the problem.  People have had problems with Nisstec for the same reasons, which I've also never had.  PRGs prices are a little better because Nisstec rails you with their shipping costs.  With all of that being said,  I'd try calling Rugged Rocks and see if they have something for you, if they don't, my first recommendation would be PRG.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »
This is a debate as old as Nissan itself; I've dealt with both, and have had zero issues with either.

Search PRG on this site (top right of page)....you're bound to come up with many threads asking this very same question....

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »
Agreed - this debate is as old as the sun. Unfortunately, we're limited in the vendors we can deal with, due to the niche of our brand/platform. If you have nothing better to do with 27 hours of your precious time, feel free to search the thousands of threads on TNX about experiences with PRG and experiences with Nisstec. Like others here, I've personally dealt with both on numerous occasions, and have never had a negative experience with either. Something to keep in mind is that they are both small companies catering to a very specific customer base. You can't expect cookie-cutter customer relations or a similar experience to what you'd get from, say, Amazon or 4 Wheel Parts. People sometimes fall short of expectations. People sometimes forget things. Like I said - I've never had a bad experience with either, but if you remember what you are dealing with and you have appropriate expectations, you'll never be let down. What's that old expression - expectations only lead to disappointment.

I'd look at the individual product offerings from each of the two companies, and see which is more your style or fits your budget. I've purchased most of my suspension components from PRG, because I'm a big fan of the actual product. However, like I said, I've also purchased numerous things from Nisstec and have always been satisfied with everything I've received from them, too. As always, YMMV.  O0

ShockBlue_Scott

• 4wd Pts: 6
    • 2002 Xterra
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:00:07 PM »
Well thanks for all the info and yes I could have searched... But why when I could have just asked the experts.

I think the Nisstec kit will be the best. I like how the spacer/in-coil pre-loads the factory spring but still lifts the rig. From the reviews I read online it made handling a lot better too, no diving while braking and less sway in corners.
Scott
2002 Nissan Xterra Shock Blue
City Heights, San Diego CA

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 11:45:45 PM »
That's a rough one, as I've never had problems with PRG but some people have.  I've also had no problems with Nisstec, until recently, when they started talking bad about other vendors and lift solutions, on a public forum. 

Curious Rick...where/when did Nisstec speak poorly of another vendor?  TNX?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 10:54:38 AM »
Curious Rick...where/when did Nisstec speak poorly of another vendor?  TNX?
It was actually on Facebook and it wasn't necessarily a vendor.  They had posted about the new 6100 Bilsteins and someone asked if they would have them for the Titan swap.  Someone mentioned the current Bil setup that Chris developed and they referred to it as a "hack job."  There was more on the post, where I commented that Chris had put a ton of research into this and has achieved travel numbers similar to or better than some Titan swap coilovers.  It may not be worst thing in the world, but we are a small community that depends on just few companies.  Someone works their butt off to come out with a viable and cost-effective option to Titan swap and they're referred to as a hack.  Chris didn't just throw this together, he researched it, engineered it, and came up with a pretty nice solution.  I honestly don't think this came from the mouth of the older guys at Nisstec, this sounds like something their new hire would say.  I've seen him on Instagram and FB, prior to his working there, and he is far from professional.   
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky