Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon - Anza Borrego - Nov 7, 2010  (Read 10683 times)

FrankB

Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon - Anza Borrego - Nov 7, 2010
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:23:18 PM »
We took a drive out to Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon today. The last time I was there was March 27th, just a week before the big earthquake. There are several new rockfalls and slides along the way that weren't there back in March. This one is new.

Here's the new end of Sandstone Canyon.

It looked like someone had tried to drive through on the far right side through that little notch. Can't tell for sure if they got through.

Here it is from the other (upstream) side. It was fairly wet and almost muddy on this side, I think a lot of the water that usually washes down the canyon is being trapped by this blockage.

The good news it that we can still drive through this part of the canyon.

I probably shouldn't drive and shoot pictures at the same time, at least when there's not a whole lot of clearance on either side.

On the way out we took Loop Wash, which runs parallel to Fish Creek for a few miles. It is very lightly traveled compared to Fish Creek, which makes it really nice.

We'll take this same route on Nov 20. It was beautiful out there today, it should be equally nice in 2 weeks.

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
Re: Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon - Anza Borrego - Nov 7, 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 11:04:41 PM »

It looked like someone had tried to drive through on the far right side through that little notch. Can't tell for sure if they got through.

That would be my friend Mike (roastbeef)
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa447/jhughes3281/Fish%20Creek/044.jpg

http://i1139.photobucket.com/albums/n557/sdharleydad/ClubFrontierFish%20Creek/fishcreek065.jpg

FrankB

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 07:27:31 AM »
Thanks for posting that Oz.  Did he make it all the way through?  We did see some tracks on the other side, but could not tell how old they were.  When we were there we saw a heavily built up old Bronco that looked like it might make it, but we didn't see what he wound up doing.

See you on the 20th?

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 07:37:16 PM »
Looks like you totally could have made that Frank.  :P
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
Looks like you totally could have made that Frank.  :P

You're right Dan - it was easily passed - on foot.  I would like to see the picture that would have been taken a few minutes after the one Oz posted. I'm curious to know if he got any further than that. Take a look at where his rear wheels are, especially the driver's side.

It's really quite interesting the way the canyon upstream from that rock fall has changed from what it used to be. For some reason it has a completely different feel to it. The floor of the canyon even looks very different, with a covering of little vegetation like I've never seen (probably because it's always been heavily trafficked by vehicles). Heather and I walked up canyon for at maybe 1/2 a mile or so, I'll have to go further next time. It sure is different than driving it.

There is also some interesting "artwork" now.

SteeevO

• 4wd Pts: 23
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »
Thats awesome.
I'm bummed i missed this run. I'm planning on going out to anza really soon.

FrankB

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 07:59:54 AM »
Thats awesome.
I'm bummed i missed this run. I'm planning on going out to anza really soon.

You haven't really missed it - the SCCX run is on November 20th.  Check out the post in the Xcursions forum.