Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Lytle Creek Trail Closed  (Read 8447 times)

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
Lytle Creek Trail Closed
« on: June 16, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »
I went to Lytle Creek a few weekends ago and found the road closed beginning right at the shooting range.  I spoke to a Forest Ranger who said the road is impassible due to a 30' fissure that was created not too long ago by the rains.  It is similar to what occurred at Angeles Crest Hwy. when it was recently closed due to storm-related damage.  Although you cannot drive past the shooting range, you can park and hike up the trail.

Just a note, as you are heading down the road shortly after the shooting range, if you see a well-beaten hidden trail on the right with obvious worn tire tracks, don't drive down it to see what is there.  That is unless you want to chat with a FR who will politely explain that, even though there are no signs not to take that trail, the rule of thumb is that if there is no sign saying it is okay, then don't take it.  Apparently, that particular path is used regularly by people who want to dispose of stolen cars.  After receiving a warning instead of a $75 ticket, in the future I will put a rein on my curiosity in that area.   :)

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
Re: Lytle Creek Trail Closed
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 06:18:22 PM »
At least you weren't taken down at gun point.  ;)
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

FrankB

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:12:36 PM »
At least you weren't taken down at gun point.  ;)

Paul would know about that.  Oh, and for the record Paul, you are not the only one posting in this thread who has been thrown against the side of a vehicle and frisked at gunpoint.

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 08:04:22 PM »
Don't you know, a wink and a smile will get you far.  Uh, unless you're male and then .... yeah, slammed against the hood and frisked at gunpoint.   :D

MaxPower

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »
I was up there a few years ago and at almost every stop I found underware as though they were tossed out of a car window.  When I told that to a Pomona PD Officer I knew she told me that area is a common dumping ground for bodies.  Kind of creepy but the area was nice to drive around.
This isn't Santa's Workshop.  This place smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me.

FrankB

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »
Don't you know, a wink and a smile will get you far.  Uh, unless you're male and then .... yeah, slammed against the hood and frisked at gunpoint.   :D

A wink and a smile?  Maybe that was the problem. Well, that and it being the mid-1970's, having longish very dark hair, a very thick dark beard, and driving a van with no windows probably fit a certain profile. Jumping out of the driver's door of said van when pulled over on a dark street by an unmarked car was probably not the best idea either. Come to think of it now, not pulling over immediately, but driving for at least almost 2 blocks after the red light came on probably didn't help matters either.

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »
Wild man Frank living in a van down by the river.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

FrankB

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 10:41:27 PM »
Wild man Frank living in a van down by the river.

Well, it was a very long time ago. I have matured a bit since then.

GUANO

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
I'm surprised you weren't tazed on the spot.   Oh that's right, they only do that to wheel-chair ridden grannies and little kids who refuse to go to bed on time...  (true stories)