Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: GhostX  (Read 101819 times)

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
Re: GhostX - Need Some SCCX Advice - Transmission - 7/8/14
« Reply #195 on: July 09, 2014, 05:17:38 AM »
A grand?   I didn't see one for less than 2200 on that web site, they think they are made of gold?
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re: Re: Re: GhostX - Need Some SCCX Advice - Transmission - 7/8/14
« Reply #196 on: July 09, 2014, 07:57:07 AM »
A grand?   I didn't see one for less than 2200 on that web site, they think they are made of gold?
There was 3 of them last night. I guess they're gone.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re:
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2014, 08:04:39 AM »
http://www.autopartsfair.com/nissan-used_transmissions/xterra-2005-catalog.html?campaign=theautochannel

Got a grand laying around? We can even put it in...

Cool link...but the $957 trans was 4x2.  All the others were around $2,500-$3K for the 4x4 model.

What do you guys know about rebuilds...ie:  having a shop rebuild the existing?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #198 on: July 09, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
Rebuild is probably cheapest, just have to find a decent shop to do it, that's the hard part.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »
I had a transmission on my Scion rebuilt at a shop here in town called Murrieta Transmission after it completely failed. It's an awesome little old-school shop, not a national chain of kids who don't know what they're doing. The owner, Harry Smith, is an old school mechanic who has rebuilt thousands of transmissions and he has a couple of great guys working for him. The drawback is - it wasn't cheap. By the time I was done, it was about $3500, but that included almost everything inside the transmission replaced and a new primary ECU for the car. So if you're looking for a great trustworthy shop that does outstanding work, I would 100% recommend them, but it's a bit of a drive for you and it won't be on the cheap side.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re:
« Reply #200 on: July 14, 2014, 08:11:28 AM »
Rebuild is probably cheapest, just have to find a decent shop to do it, that's the hard part.

Cool, thanks Jordan.  There is a transmission shop about two miles from the new house in Oceanside.

I had a transmission on my Scion rebuilt at a shop here in town called Murrieta Transmission after it completely failed. It's an awesome little old-school shop, not a national chain of kids who don't know what they're doing. The owner, Harry Smith, is an old school mechanic who has rebuilt thousands of transmissions and he has a couple of great guys working for him. The drawback is - it wasn't cheap. By the time I was done, it was about $3500, but that included almost everything inside the transmission replaced and a new primary ECU for the car. So if you're looking for a great trustworthy shop that does outstanding work, I would 100% recommend them, but it's a bit of a drive for you and it won't be on the cheap side.

I don't mind the drive, when I get ready to pull the trigger I will reach out to them for a quote.  How long was your Scion down?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #201 on: July 14, 2014, 10:14:30 AM »
He had it for about 10 days, but that's because he ran into some unexpected problems with the ECU. The transmission rebuild alone took about 5 or 6 days, then he discovered the computer was bad (which is what caused the transmission to fail in the first place). He ordered a computer from a dismantler which turned out to be bad, and he had to send it back and get another. So there were a few unnecessary days in there getting that all sorted out.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #202 on: July 15, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
He had it for about 10 days, but that's because he ran into some unexpected problems with the ECU. The transmission rebuild alone took about 5 or 6 days, then he discovered the computer was bad (which is what caused the transmission to fail in the first place). He ordered a computer from a dismantler which turned out to be bad, and he had to send it back and get another. So there were a few unnecessary days in there getting that all sorted out.

Got it...thanks JF.
KD6DCI

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #203 on: July 15, 2014, 06:26:18 PM »
I would reccommend going to the shops personally.  When you see, you canm get a vibe, or a feel, of how a shop operates.  I've been to some cleam shops that did a poor job.  And i've been to a dirty, dingy, hole-in-the-wall place that has given up the best tranny I've ever driven.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #204 on: July 15, 2014, 07:52:35 PM »
I would reccommend going to the shops personally.  When you see, you canm get a vibe, or a feel, of how a shop operates.  I've been to some cleam shops that did a poor job.  And i've been to a dirty, dingy, hole-in-the-wall place that has given up the best tranny I've ever driven.

What he said.  For instance, do not repeat do not go to AAMCO.  Had a friend who used to manage on of them.   >:(
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2014, 10:25:10 AM »
What he said.  For instance, do not repeat do not go to AAMCO.  Had a friend who used to manage on of them.   >:(

Copy that. Thanks guys. Almost finished moving and then will look at the trans project.

Sent from Planet Claire using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

glamisdude72000

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2014, 05:09:29 PM »
Sorry to hear about the trans...
Where did you move this time? I thought you just moved?

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2014, 07:58:35 AM »
Sorry to hear about the trans...
Where did you move this time? I thought you just moved?

Lol Chris...we just "moved" to Oceanside.  Had a bad property management company, so moved a little more west.  Better rent and garage arrangement, with a local landlord.

Have you heard of any good transmission shops in/near Escondido?
KD6DCI

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #208 on: August 04, 2014, 08:19:37 PM »
Hi John,

I emailed my wheeling friend that lives in Vista and inquired about tranny shops in the North County area.  His reply:
Sorry, We had a crazy weekend. I didnt check my e-mails until this morning. The best tranny guy in S.D. area is Kirt at Tri-City Transmission in Vista on South Santa Fe Dr.  Kirt is the owner of the small shop.

Hope this helps.
Terry
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

DannyX

• 4wd Pts: 23
  • "LIKE" Me on Facebook.
Re:
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2014, 10:21:56 AM »
John, if you want I can dress up like a woman and work on it...... ;p
"LIKE" Me on Facebook.