Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: GhostX  (Read 101813 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: GhostX - Transmission Rebuild Source Refined - 8/23/2014
« Reply #210 on: August 23, 2014, 08:33:52 AM »
To update the transmission rebuild research...and thanks to all that have helped in my quest to the next 100K!

Contacted Steevo and he was able to source a solid lead for the transmission rebuild - Chino Hills Transmission, in Chino, CA.

I spoke to several owners/techs, and also several members both here and on thenewx who I trust and respect. 

To review, at 206,xxx miles, my transmission started to slip in D on hills, and hard shifting (kicking) from first to second gear, mostly on start up.  Once warmed up, things get a little better...but problems like this rarely get "better" with age. 

I spoke with Dave at LEVEL10 Transmission in New Jersey, after a referral from BulldozerX on thenewx.  He was a wealth of information and both confirmed and debunked much of the information I had gleaned from "The Internet."  However, after absorbing all of the information from him, the ship time and cost (4-5 days, and an additional $500), this option wasn't viable for me living on The Left Coast.

Next up...I spoke with my new mechanic (who is going to install new timing chain guides soon), who recommended Eliminator Transmission in Oceanside, CA.  After visiting with them, while the information I received was good, the $485 quote to remove and evaluate the issues, seemed a bit "open ended" for my taste. 

Please keep in mind that all of these shops have 4 and 5 star reviews on Yelp, and in their own right seem to be great shops.

However, after working on/paying for many repairs on the Ghost...you get a feeling when you are talking with a vendor/shop owner...call it a rapport, that eventually builds to trust.

This is what I felt in my first phone call with Greg, the owner of Chino Hills Transmission.  Keep in mind this was the sixth shop that I had spoken with about Nissan Xterra transmissions (I won't mention the other three, because those phone calls didn't last long based upon what I didn't hear), so at this point the initial questions were pretty standard.  Also, this was a referral from Rugged Rocks owner Steven Lutz, who answered my call on the first ring, and was extremely helpful.  People in the Nissan world need to understand how truly nice and professionally helpful Steven can be...he made some calls on my behalf which led to my phone call to Greg.

Greg is currently working on replacing the valve bodies of two Xterras that had suffered the unfortunate fate of the dreaded SMOD.  Strawberry Milkshake of Death...for those of you new to the scene...aka the mixing of engine coolant into the trans forming that lovely frothy dipstick syndrome.  We spoke for a good twenty minutes, about torque converters, Titan Swaps, gearing, annual transmission maintenance to stretch this build another 100K, types of trans fluids, effects of coolant on the valve body internals (nothing good), and how my first mechanic saved me $6,000 when I personally suffered my personal attack of the SMOD.  Suffice to say, Greg knew his stuff, and was able to communicate a succinct plan and budget to rebuild the Ghost's transmission.  He also mentioned that I would need to order the valve body from a dealer, and have my VIN # handy, because they code/program each valve body to your vehicle from the factory.  Greg finished up by recommending that I drop the X off the night before so they could do a full cold start evaluation of the issues, and that they video the test drive which we could review together to refine the plan of attack.

I will be traveling to Dallas (to meet my new father in law) and plan on dropping the Ghost off before that trip, to coincide with my down time, early September.

I'll get more info on ballpark pricing and estimated down time for the Ghost in my next post, as well as the quotes to repair my timing chain issues and replacement of all of my catalytic converters...yes, again...so stay tuned.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #211 on: August 23, 2014, 01:07:37 PM »
Good luck John.  Glad you're sticking with it!
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #212 on: August 23, 2014, 02:52:07 PM »
Glad to hear so much progress John.   If there is any help you might need let me know.   I'm relatively close to Chino Hills.
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #213 on: August 24, 2014, 06:55:03 AM »
So happy to hear some progress has been made, my friend.  Please let me know if you need any help ie. rides, etc.

Wooooooooohooooooo!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #214 on: August 24, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »
Good luck John.  Glad you're sticking with it!

Glad to hear so much progress John.   If there is any help you might need let me know.   I'm relatively close to Chino Hills.

So happy to hear some progress has been made, my friend.  Please let me know if you need any help ie. rides, etc.

Wooooooooohooooooo!

Thanks guys...I'll let you know if we need help for sure.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2014, 10:08:22 AM »
Wanted to update my friends here on SCCX on a few things.

I really miss being able to contribute to the weekend trips with the group as of late, but my career change has made it more difficult than anticipated with establishing tenure and schedules at THD.  After 33 years in hospitality, the career change was needed, but I am starting from the bottom again. 

Less stress, but I still need to work. 

Also, timing and financial constraints with jobs/veterinary responsibilities/teenage school obligations/aged parental care have limited our ability to get the X fixed as quickly as I liked, BUT it will happen. 

Flirting with Land Cruisers is fun, but I know Nissans, and to make that change doesn't make sense.

We enjoy this group, the people in it, and will continue to do so as we roll with life's changes.

Sorry for committing to...and then backing out of a few of the last planned runs...it just hasn't worked with everything going on.

Thanks for reading...and hopefully understanding.   :)

If not...well you know what to do;D

KD6DCI

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2014, 10:11:44 AM »

If not...well you know what to do;D

Ummm....are we talking.....long walk, short pier kind of things?

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »
Ummm....are we talking.....long walk, short pier kind of things?

PM sent.

Didn't want to raise the ire of The Duffman.
KD6DCI

chrishaynesusa

• thenewx
  • 4wd Pts: -35
Re: GhostX
« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2014, 07:55:10 PM »
I miss you :(

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #219 on: December 22, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
Driving home from a quick grocery run...and BAM!

No 1st or 2nd gears.

No more procrastination, the Ghost will head to Chino tomorrow morning for a little orange jumpsuit correction...of the trans rebuild variety.  ;)

Thought I could wait til' the New Year...obvi the Xterra had other ideas.
KD6DCI

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #220 on: December 22, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »
You got transportation home?  Or are you waiting?     ;)
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #221 on: December 22, 2014, 04:31:44 PM »
Let me know if you need transportation, if you can drive manual, I've got a spare car if you need
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #222 on: December 22, 2014, 07:47:24 PM »
I've seen Jordan's other car, it's orange, 450HP with #38 on the door drifter ;D
Or behind door #2, I have a KLR650 with a K9 basket on the back if you want it.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re: Re:
« Reply #223 on: December 22, 2014, 10:54:05 PM »
Let me know if you need transportation, if you can drive manual, I've got a spare car if you need
Baller!

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #224 on: December 22, 2014, 11:34:31 PM »
Haha hardly baller, it is an 02 Infiniti g20 that I bought for less than 3k.  It gets awesome gas mileage for work
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit