Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anza Borrego - Saturday 3 March 2012 - 2WD Friendly  (Read 21675 times)

magnus718

• 4wd Pts: 1
Re: Anza Borrego - Saturday 3 March 2012 - 2WD Friendly
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »
Hey FrankB,

I'm not from the San Diego area but would like to caravan! Let me know the details.

Thanks!

FrankB

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 09:58:54 PM »
There's a good chance I can make this run. I will confirm with you Frank.

It would be great to see you Fred. Bring Sherrie too.

FrankB

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 09:59:30 PM »
Hey FrankB,

I'm not from the San Diego area but would like to caravan! Let me know the details.

Thanks!

David - sent you a PM in response to yours.

magnus718

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »
Frank,

I got it....very excited about my 1st outing!

magnus718

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 08:51:22 AM »
hey Frank...are there any of the SCCX stickers left?  I'd like one for next week.

thanks

FrankB

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »
hey Frank...are there any of the SCCX stickers left?  I'd like one for next week.

thanks

Yes, we do have stickers. I'll bring some with me.  $9.

IRON X

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 12:58:55 PM »
Looks like I wont be able to make it, a close friend of mines grandmother passed away recently and the funeral is Saturday. Have fun out there guys, see ya on the next run.
33x12.5 Duratracs, Crager Soft 8's, DIY 2" BL, AC Upper Control Arms, Sway-A-Away TBars, Trail Gear Sliders, Sony Xplode GT450U, Volant CAI, Cherry Bomb Extreme Muffler w/ Downpipe, KC Daylights on Custom Fender/Cowel Mounts, TC IAB, Uniden PRO510XL CB, 4ft Firestik, Smittybilt Front Recovery Hooks

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
Looks like we are set to go!

@Frank: Can you please advise on any suitable camping spots in the area? I will be camping with newbies so any available amenities will be good. If you can please provide some info on location, fees, campfire issues, hiking trails, etc., we would really appreciate it.

Thanks and really looking forward to it!
XterracerX

(+2 vehicles)
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 03:47:38 PM »
I'm ready for some driving and hiking! :) I'll be leaving from the Riverside/Moreno Valley area if anyone wants to caravan.

FrankB

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
. . . .  @Frank: Can you please advise on any suitable camping spots in the area? I will be camping with newbies so any available amenities will be good. If you can please provide some info on location, fees, campfire issues, hiking trails, etc., we would really appreciate it. . . .

Fred, there are marked spots at Blair Valley Primitive Camp, along with the vault toilets. No other facilities there. There are also lots of open spots in Blair Valley. In Anza Borrego you can camp anywhere off the road. Fires must be in a metal container, no ground fires allowed. Blair Valley sits at about 2,500' elevation (in some spots higher) so it will be cooler than other parts of the Park. There is a campground with full facilities at Tamarisk Grove (Hwy 78 at Yaqui Pass Road), but I believe that it might be closed due to State budget cuts (never mind that it probably made money). Best to call the Park and ask about that one. You could also head south on S-2 for about 25 miles to the area around Carrizo Creek and Canyon sin Nombre. That is much lower elevation there, should be warmer. Further south on S-2 and there is BLM land on the right where you can have a ground fire.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:42:39 PM by FrankB »

Duke562(rmaligie)

• 4wd Pts: 5
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 09:20:35 AM »
I would like to know if i can still ride saturday I do not have sliders or removed rear sway yet. I wil be out of town until the night before the ride. If I can make it without those two things I would love to ride. If anyone can let me know . Thanks

Ryan

FrankB

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 11:08:39 AM »
I would like to know if i can still ride saturday I do not have sliders or removed rear sway yet. I wil be out of town until the night before the ride. If I can make it without those two things I would love to ride. If anyone can let me know . Thanks

Ryan

Hi Ryan. I would be very surprised if we even need 4WD out there on Saturday (although not as surprised as the 2WD folks would be). In any event, the trails in Blair Valley have in the past always been passable in a high-clearance 2WD stock vehicle. It's not uncommon to see low sedans out at the parking area for the Pictographs, but we will be taking a less direct route to that spot than they would have. Unless something dramatic has happened since last Fall I can't think of anyplace where you would need sliders, and having rear sway bar in place is not an issue at all. You should be fine as is.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 07:26:19 AM »

Ryan

You will be fine, as Frank stated this is 99% fire road access, maybe some erosion ruts from recent rains.  Hope you can make it.  :)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Duke562(rmaligie)

• 4wd Pts: 5
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 09:52:01 AM »
Frank , I will be there  . Can you bring another sticker saw the message above I'll bring the 9$

FrankB

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 10:18:23 AM »
Frank , I will be there  . Can you bring another sticker saw the message above I'll bring the 9$

See you there.