Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Extremely Cool! Downloadable GPS Off-road POIs *FREE*  (Read 13758 times)

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
Extremely Cool! Downloadable GPS Off-road POIs *FREE*
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:01:10 PM »
As some of you may know I recently got the Kenwood DNX-5120 DVD Navigation Receiver. I love it!

But what's really cool is that I went to this site; Fun Treks (props to Creek and Paul), and downloaded for free, ALL the POI (Points Of Interest) off-road trails for Southern California, converted that file using Garmin's POI Loader (available here) and uploaded those POIs to my DNX 5120. It works really great! Can't wait to use it. 433 POIs!!!! Works with all Garmins and Fun Treks has maps for pretty much everywhere across the country.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 09:19:31 PM by Oz »

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
Re: Extremely Cool! Downloadable GPS Off-road POIs *FREE*
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 08:34:12 PM »
Those are the POI's from the Wells books that I posted last month. If you hunt around you can find other custom POI's - I've loaded all the water national locations and ham radio repeaters in SoCal.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

r6ryder

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 11:19:26 AM »
As some of you may know I recently got the Kenwood DNX-5120 DVD Navigation Receiver. I love it!

But what's really cool is that I went to this site; Fun Treks (props to Creek and Paul), and downloaded for free, ALL the POI (Points Of Interest) off-road trails for Southern California, converted that file using Garmin's POI Loader (available here) and uploaded those POIs to my DNX 5120. It works really great! Can't wait to use it. 433 POIs!!!! Works with all Garmins and Fun Treks has maps for pretty much everywhere across the country.

very nice..  thanks OZ.  I have the same unit so this should be a great addition to my system. 

quick question, did the update slow your GPS system down?

Paul

• BOD
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 07:43:35 PM »
Berdoo Canyon #75 is my first chance to use these.  :)
2006 Xterra Off Road

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 07:55:04 AM »
Hey Paul, I've noticed you got a nice GPS, and I'd like to get one as well with my tax return but I'm not sure what to look for, what features and what this GPS POI's are.  Can you enlighten me a bit more?
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »

very nice..  thanks OZ.  I have the same unit so this should be a great addition to my system. 

quick question, did the update slow your GPS system down?

Havent noticed any slow down - just an annoying 'speed alert 4mph' whenever a POI was close by. It was pretty where i found to disable that alert.

Paul

• BOD
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 06:52:56 PM »
Hey Paul, I've noticed you got a nice GPS, and I'd like to get one as well with my tax return but I'm not sure what to look for, what features and what this GPS POI's are.  Can you enlighten me a bit more?

I have two - a Garmin 660 which does the turn-by-turn thing, traffic updates, bluetooth and all that other around town requirements.

The big one was actually a Dell Mini 9 laptop on a mount running DeLorme Topo USA V7 with a matching USB GPS antenna. I bought the $40 a year subscription so I can download "Google Map"-like satellite photos of the trails too.
2006 Xterra Off Road

fino

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 05:51:40 PM »

How do you uplaod info to your 5120, I can't figure it out?

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 10:00:14 PM »
How much was the Kenwood unit?  How much should I expect to pay to have it installed?  What other equipment is needed to hook up the navigation?  Can you add a backup camera?  I would love to add one to my X.  I got used to it since my Nissan Murano has one.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Brian (#2)

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 09:18:13 AM »
Thanks for the Garmin POI link.  I knew about Wells' coordinates but I couldn't figure out how to load them up to my GPS unit until I saw this.  I have an older unit that is discontinued so I thought it was just its limitations.  I was playing around with it this morning and got Area 8 loaded in no problem.  However, it would not accept the entire So Cal series for some reason, so I had to upload them individually.

We did Blair Valley yesterday just using the odometer and it worked fine, but this will be a bonus.  My navigator/DJ (wife) has a big problem with reading maps and figuring out where we are spatially so this will help. :)