Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anyone planning any runs during the holidays?  (Read 35627 times)

HEVAK

• 4wd Pts: 32
Re: Anyone planning any runs during the holidays?
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »
How about we do Truck Haven on Jan 12th?

Count me fo shizzle!!! Someone please post it...I'd do it myself, but I don't know anything about Truck Haven. Except that it looks awesome!!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:05:08 PM by HEVAK »
I love it when a plan comes together

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2012, 11:57:47 AM »
I've heard a lot of the tougher sections through truckhaven have easier bypasses much like cleghorn.  With the recent rains the trails will be a bit more challenging but nothing I don't think a little skinny pedal can't get you through

Tipsy, off-camber, steep, switchback trails. :o  As with Cleghorn, a pre-run would be a good idea to scope out the bypasses for the 2wd rigs.  Once committed to a trail, especially some of those shown in the video, backing up a group of rigs once  a situation arises could be interesting.  Strapping or winching a vehicle that gets stuck in a gully or in a soft spot on a curve could be just as interesting.  

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:54:45 PM by RockinX »

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »
Well I won't be making this run as some friends want to do superstition mountain, and some hiking this Saturday.  But I'll take Sunday to do a prerun of truckhaven with them and have them show me around so I can plan out a run
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

FrankB

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »
Count me fo shizzle!!!

It seems to me that we used to have a member here named Fo Shizzle. It was a while back, not sure whatever happened to him.

As for getting out and doing something - there is no reason anyone who wants to go out has to wait.  I've done all of those trails I mentioned in my earlier posts either by myself or with a friend or two, as well as with bigger groups.  Sometimes it's fun just to call a friend (if you don't want to go alone) and take off. Or decide on a trail (guidebooks can be helpful here) and put up a post with a date and time. If you're talking easy trails it does not have to be all that complicated - just go.  Something to think about anyway.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 12:56:51 PM »
I don't know jack squat about truck haven but I'm down for exploring.

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »
Truckhaven Trail
From Dirtopia, The Off-Road Encyclopedia

A large part of this trail runs through private property with about 11 miles still open to hikers and private SUVs.

The loose sand on the terrain gives this trail a moderate difficulty rating except for the intersections with the Arroyo Salado Trail and Calcite Mine Trail which is rated more difficult. Another section in the North Fork Arroyo Salado Wash is rated even higher. Choose these sections only if you are an experienced driver and capable of avoiding serious damage to your vehicle.

Starting at Borrego-Salton Seaway (S22) east of Borrego Springs, the trail moves to the Santa Rosa Mountains. You pass by the Inspiration Point and Fonts Point Wash and can see the Clark Lake along the way.

You drive down for about 2.9 miles on S22 and then turn south towards Arroyo Salado Wash. Campers can use the sites that is near this section.

Inside Arroyo Salado Wash
Once in this zone, you are transported into a new world with the red canyon walls looming over you. After about 2.2 miles you land at a side wash which has a small intersection. You then reach the formed trail taking you out of the wash and leading to a saddle. From then on you start moving down the North Fork Arroyo Salado Wash.

After you move out of this wash you enter the section rated 5 which lasts until you reach Cannonball Canyon. After this it becomes easy again and rejoins S22. At this point you get access to the Calcite Mine Trail.

Maps and GPS Coordinates
Truckhaven Trail Coordinates: 33.303667

Odinson

• 4wd Pts: 6
  • 2009 Xterra 4x4
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 02:50:57 PM »
OPTruck Haven sounds like lots of fun for a lot of us so long as we have plenty of 2WD stuff in the area for the OP and our new friend 'Odinson', welcome.
I think there are such options.  Maybe Frank B can offer some suggestions.  Hint, Hint ??? 
I heard Calcite Mine got washed out and is difficult now.  Does anyone have recent reports?

Thanks RB! Keeping an eye on the conversation - Frank put up some great suggestions and Haven looks awesome, tho I'm sure OP and I would be staying off the gnarlier areas. Can't wait to get out with you gents - seem to be a very experienced group.
- "Let us live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." - Mark Twain

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
Can't wait to get out with you gents - seem to be a very experienced group.

All smoke and mirrors, we actually get together at Starbucks and compare liver spots.

justin123560

• 4wd Pts: 5
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »
I just want to get out on the dirt already  :-\

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 07:34:25 PM »
Well I haven't been there personally so I can't say for sure its 2wd friendly, just what I've read.  Recent rains might make the easy trails a little more difficult due to erosion and runoff. 

Due to our op looking for a 2wd run fallbrook might be the better choice.

I would like to keep Fallbrook to Santiago as our first choice, gates permitting.  And look to Anza Borrego for 2nd pick.  But definitely Truck Haven in January.  I will try to find out about the gate closures.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
I agree randy, its close for the op and its his run :-)  I'll scope out truckhaven this weekend for the run in January.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2012, 11:05:17 PM »
All smoke and mirrors, we actually get together at Starbucks and compare liver spots.

^^^^This.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

HEVAK

• 4wd Pts: 32
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
I would like to keep Fallbrook to Santiago as our first choice, gates permitting.  And look to Anza Borrego for 2nd pick.  But definitely Truck Haven in January.  I will try to find out about the gate closures.
I agree randy, its close for the op and its his run :-)  I'll scope out truckhaven this weekend for the run in January.

AGREED
I love it when a plan comes together

Deadpilot

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2012, 08:58:50 AM »
Thanks everyone. I've been wanting to get out on the trails with ya guys. Every time I try to go something comes up. Hopefully it all works out and we can hit the trails

Schmutz1211

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2012, 02:19:31 PM »
I'm in for fallbrook to santiago if work permits. Met havek while out to lunch today and he told me about this post! Cant wait to meet more of yall and get a good dirtwash on my rig. any more details and meetup location and time would be great!