Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: AAT Important Dates and Information 2013  (Read 16410 times)

Pro4X-Gremlin

• 4wd Pts: 11
Re: AAT Important Dates and Information 2013
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 07:35:25 PM »
I am requesting a vacation day this time!  ;D

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 11:30:27 PM »
I am requesting a vacation day this time!  ;D

What!  You get vacation days?  You must have a nice boss. ;)  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:51:38 PM by RockinX »

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »
AAT Trail Report 3/23/2013:

Well I made a run to BB today with three goals in mind:
   1. Check the overall trail condition, collect trash, etc.
   2. See if there was anything on the trail maintenance plan that I could take care of while here.
   3. To learn as much as possible about the area our trail passes through.   My mission,  basically, take as many of the marked or semi-marked trails along the length of 2N02 possible.

I arrived at the shed with hopes that I would find some signs sitting there ready for me stand up in all the right places.    Wrong.  Bunch of pieces of signs, a box marked club stickers (We didn't have any in there.  NOTE: John we need some SCCX stickers up there for the signs) and other paraphernalia.   I figured out immediately that I wasn't going to be able to accomplish this task today.   But I did find out what we need to do (minus the bullet holes and that OHV non-licensed vehicles are not permitted):

And where we are going to put them:

So I basically retraced our steps, picking up trash, rearranging rocks and the like.   I stopped at the first Arrastre Shooting area.  Picked up about 50 lbs of shell casings and used targets including a shot up bowling ball.   Guess the guy was through with the game.  Actually you can see the bowling ball to the right in this picture

Yup the fridge is still there.

And of course in this day and age they have to use the shooting permitted sign for target practice:

Well folks my job was done   ;D    THE FUN BEGINS....

I started out by trying 2N90(Tip Top Mountain)  Behold the top of Tip Top Mountain:

That was slated as a blue trail....   Moderate  but very picturesque.

Next came 2N70Y....   Yahoo..   That was a fun one.   It is classed a RED or most difficult.   Very tippy and I think it is two different runs depending on which way you go.   I went north to south and need sometime soon to try it the other way.   Met up with about 10 jeepers they were going in as I was coming out of 2N70Y.   Stink Eye :D   I was a little busy here so didn't get any pictures.

Then I decided that I wanted to do 2N61Y in the other direction(south to north)

I had done part of it when going to Pontiac Sluice but coming from the North.  Wow that is an exciting BLUE run.  One waterfall that you need to be careful of going south to north.  Actually the last time I was there was the first time I ever got to use my winch.  I had to winch myself off of a rock.  Didn't bother with the Pontiac this time.   Been there done that..

So I took 2N61Y all the way to 2N01 which intersects with 2N02 right at a friendly spot that a few of us did some work the last time we were here.

Also right at that spot I noted a road I hadn't taken, so of course I had to take it and what did I find?

Tres cool.   Anybody need some new rubber?

After that it was time to head home I guess  :-\  So I headed out through 2N01 which intersects Highway 38 and home.
But on the way I saw 2N64Y and Juniper Springs Group Campground

It doesn't open until May but I think that would be an excellent place to base a "work crew" for a weekend.   Water, pit toilet and probably the largest fire pit I have ever seen.  Sign said 8 rigs/40 people but that place is big enough for those rigs to be Greyhounds.

So I hope this has been enough of a trip report to justify the 12 hours we should charge for this outing.  I'm just sorry there weren't more of us to share this experience.

P.S.  I picked up trash on every one of these side trails that I took.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:03:12 AM by SoCalXTerry »
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 10:00:36 PM »
Daaaang Terry. I havn't been following this thread but I would have gone with you.

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »
Daaaang Terry. I havn't been following this thread but I would have gone with you.

Hm.   Now he says this ;)   
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

RockinX

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »
You summed it up perfectly Terry....Tres cool!  Great trail report!  Seems to me you certainly qualify for the hours you put toward our trail.  Recon, trash and shell cleanup, getting the rocks and forest debris back in its place, and other maintenance.  Good find on the camp site also.  It seems signage is an important issue.  This was discussed at the recent AAT meeting and I understand John is working on that now.

BTW, the property where you found the cave is for sale.  Group buy?  Funny, when I clicked on the "Nearby Amenities" link nothing came up. ;D 
http://www.remax.com/realestatehomesforsale/0east2n02-bigbear-ca-92314-id94956292.html

LOOKING FOR ADVENTURE? Rose Mine. This is an actual Gold Mine which may include golden treasure. You will need a shovel, a pick and a adventurous spirit. Includes 4 parcels that totals 58 acres! Address number not assigned. Call for more information!

I think they would throw in the tire in for free if we ask.  :D

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Re: AAT Important Dates and Information 2013
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
So we could have a club mine?!? Sweet!  We could strike it rich.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 03:08:41 PM »

Only problem these have been played out 50 years ago.   But you have to admit it could be fun....
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

RockinX

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »

Yeah, but you

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Re: Re: Re: AAT Important Dates and Information 2013
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 08:51:39 PM »
Only problem these have been played out 50 years ago.   But you have to admit it could be fun....

Yea but it would make a sweet clubhouse ;D
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Loki

• 4wd Pts: 3
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »
Awesome report and highlights of your day  :D

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 01:43:42 PM »
Great write-up Terry!!

And Jordan....DUDE, I WANNA EXPLORE OUR GROUP MINE!!!!

Let's do it!!!

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »
Great write-up Terry!!

And Jordan....DUDE, I WANNA EXPLORE OUR GROUP MINE!!!!

Let's do it!!!

Hey 2N02 awaits.    Anytime.
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 11:06:22 AM »
AAT Trail Report 3/23/2013:   Posted 2/23/2013

As mentioned below: 12 hours should be charged to AAT for this outing.

Well I made a run to BB today with three goals in mind:
   1. Check the overall trail condition, collect trash, etc.
   2. See if there was anything on the trail maintenance plan that I could take care of while here.
   3. To learn as much as possible about the area our trail passes through.   My mission,  basically, take as many of the marked or semi-marked trails along the length of 2N02 possible.

I arrived at the shed with hopes that I would find some signs sitting there ready for me stand up in all the right places.    Wrong.  Bunch of pieces of signs, a box marked club stickers (We didn't have any in there.  NOTE: John we need some SCCX stickers up there for the signs) and other paraphernalia.   I figured out immediately that I wasn't going to be able to accomplish this task today.   But I did find out what we need to do (minus the bullet holes and that OHV non-licensed vehicles are not permitted):

And where we are going to put them:

So I basically retraced our steps, picking up trash, rearranging rocks and the like.   I stopped at the first Arrastre Shooting area.  Picked up about 50 lbs of shell casings and used targets including a shot up bowling ball.   Guess the guy was through with the game.  Actually you can see the bowling ball to the right in this picture

Yup the fridge is still there.

And of course in this day and age they have to use the shooting permitted sign for target practice:

Well folks my job was done   ;D    THE FUN BEGINS....

I started out by trying 2N90(Tip Top Mountain)  Behold the top of Tip Top Mountain:

That was slated as a blue trail....   Moderate  but very picturesque.

Next came 2N70Y....   Yahoo..   That was a fun one.   It is classed a RED or most difficult.   Very tippy and I think it is two different runs depending on which way you go.   I went north to south and need sometime soon to try it the other way.   Met up with about 10 jeepers they were going in as I was coming out of 2N70Y.   Stink Eye :D   I was a little busy here so didn't get any pictures.

Then I decided that I wanted to do 2N61Y in the other direction(south to north)

I had done part of it when going to Pontiac Sluice but coming from the North.  Wow that is an exciting BLUE run.  One waterfall that you need to be careful of going south to north.  Actually the last time I was there was the first time I ever got to use my winch.  I had to winch myself off of a rock.  Didn't bother with the Pontiac this time.   Been there done that..

So I took 2N61Y all the way to 2N01 which intersects with 2N02 right at a friendly spot that a few of us did some work the last time we were here.

Also right at that spot I noted a road I hadn't taken, so of course I had to take it and what did I find?

Tres cool.   Anybody need some new rubber?

After that it was time to head home I guess  :-\  So I headed out through 2N01 which intersects Highway 38 and home.
But on the way I saw 2N64Y and Juniper Springs Group Campground

It doesn't open until May but I think that would be an excellent place to base a "work crew" for a weekend.   Water, pit toilet and probably the largest fire pit I have ever seen.  Sign said 8 rigs/40 people but that place is big enough for those rigs to be Greyhounds.

So I hope this has been enough of a trip report to justify the 12 hours we should charge for this outing.  I'm just sorry there weren't more of us to share this experience.

P.S.  I picked up trash on every one of these side trails that I took.

Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

henrypro11

• 4wd Pts: 6
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 05:52:28 PM »
Next AAT Meeting:

Scheduled for June 19th, 2013

Corona, Sizzler Steakhouse

6PM Dinner - 7PM Meeting commences

im there