Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Off road bumpers  (Read 15493 times)

ShockBlue_Scott

• 4wd Pts: 6
    • 2002 Xterra
Off road bumpers
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:04:01 AM »
Last night while looking around on craigslist I found a guy in Chula Vista that does fab work. He does pretty much everything you can think of. I asked him if he would be interested in mass production for bumpers, he said he would.

So my question is how many of you would be interested? I've sent him a few pictures of bumpers I would like, basic rear with a swing out/hitch receiver/ as well as some brackets for "D" rings. The front is basically a Heftyfab bumper without the loops just a center bar for lights and a winch but designed for 1st Gen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/WRX_scott/30d91935c747d13bf569f28c47ae219f_zpsc2f1fb10.jpg
Off road bumpers

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/WRX_scott/88acd9b27881b29ddcc25d7afd6c2ecb_zps49dfa0e1.jpg
Off road bumpers

I am fully aware these are pictures of a 2nd Gen but I'm sure he can make changes to fit a 1st Gen.
Scott
2002 Nissan Xterra Shock Blue
City Heights, San Diego CA

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: Off road bumpers
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:37:47 AM »
Be sure to talk to Ray/HEVAK before you commit any $$$ to a first time bumper builder/fabricator for the Xterra.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

ShockBlue_Scott

• 2002 Xterra
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »
I'm going to assume it was a horror story for him?
Scott

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »
I'm going to assume it was a horror story for him?

It all started out on a dark, stormy night...

Lightning split the night sky as rain drops the size of golf balls doused the entire state.  The power had been out for hours, and the wax from the candles never meant for lighting was dripping onto the frozen hardwood floor.  

Suddenly, there was a sound....a sound unlike anything the campers had ever heard.  Nobody wanted to admit they heard it, but at the same time, they all subconsciously start scooting closer to each other.  The cracking of the wood in the fire was the soundtrack to their night up until then...

None of them had heard of the infamous CHEWDONKEY until that night....and they would never forget that name again....
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:13:29 PM by xxSVxx »

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Re: Off road bumpers
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »
This is going to be epic...

Not sent with the stupid auto guide app
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

ShockBlue_Scott

• 2002 Xterra
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:45 PM »
It all started out on a dark, stormy night...

Lightning split the night sky as rain drops the size of golf balls doused the entire state.  The power had been out for hours, and the wax from the candles never meant for lighting was dripping onto the frozen hardwood floor.  

Suddenly, there was a sound....a sound unlike anything the campers had ever heard.  Nobody wanted to admit they heard it, but at the same time, they all subconsciously start scooting closer to each other.  The cracking of the wood in the fire was the soundtrack to their night up until then...

None of them had heard of the infamous CHEWDONKEY until that night....and they would never forget that name again....

Oh no...
Scott

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 09:33:04 PM »
Lets just say...there is no such thing as a free lunch.

What started out as a promising fabricator/SCCX relationship quickly bogged down into broken promises and long wait times.

Oh yeah, and like Christiaan said, there was lightning and candle wax too.

Sent from Planet Claire using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

HEVAK

• 4wd Pts: 32
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 09:42:26 PM »
Lets just say...there is no such thing as a free lunch.

What started out as a promising fabricator/SCCX relationship quickly bogged down into broken promises and long wait times.

What he said...
I love it when a plan comes together

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
What he said...

I just want to say...Ray is being very diplomatic here.

ShockBlue_Scott...bottom line is be careful with your time and money.  

If you have plenty of time and don't mind your truck being a template guinea pig, then this might be a good fit working with this fabricator.

Also, consider that a lot of people can build for cosmetic performance, but a select few understand the true torsional aspects of shear/torque on mounting/recovery points for a bumper that will be used for serious winching.

Also depends on what you will use your vehicle for.  If you are just looking for a better bumper with light mounts and better approach/departure angles (and there is nothing wrong with this), then a boutique/back alley fabricator might have the skills necessary to fab something up.

If however, you will be outbacking in either the local or faraway deserts, and winch mounting/solo recovery is your priority, then a trusted/proven bumper fabricator might suit your needs (and reciprocally your wallet).

Nothing worse than a product failing or injuring when you really needed it to perform otherwise.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me or any of the guys here before you slap down your hard earned benjamins...

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee251/perrymk/change100dollarbills.jpg
Off road bumpers
KD6DCI

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 10:34:11 AM »
BTW...if you're looking for a solid bumper for a smokin' price...Doug has one for sale:

SCCX Member - ARB Bumper
KD6DCI

ShockBlue_Scott

• 2002 Xterra
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 11:50:16 AM »
BTW...if you're looking for a solid bumper for a smokin' price...Doug has one for sale:

SCCX Member - ARB Bumper

Not what I'm really looking for. I just want a small center loop to provide protection for lights/LED.

I just want to say...Ray is being very diplomatic here.

ShockBlue_Scott...bottom line is be careful with your time and money.  

If you have plenty of time and don't mind your truck being a template guinea pig, then this might be a good fit working with this fabricator.

Also, consider that a lot of people can build for cosmetic performance, but a select few understand the true torsional aspects of shear/torque on mounting/recovery points for a bumper that will be used for serious winching.

Also depends on what you will use your vehicle for.  If you are just looking for a better bumper with light mounts and better approach/departure angles (and there is nothing wrong with this), then a boutique/back alley fabricator might have the skills necessary to fab something up.

If however, you will be outbacking in either the local or faraway deserts, and winch mounting/solo recovery is your priority, then a trusted/proven bumper fabricator might suit your needs (and reciprocally your wallet).

Nothing worse than a product failing or injuring when you really needed it to perform otherwise.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me or any of the guys here before you slap down your hard earned benjamins...

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee251/perrymk/change100dollarbills.jpg
Off road bumpers

Thanks for the advice. I'll take that into consideration.
Scott

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 02:47:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll take that into consideration.

Ha! - too much info...sorry.

Sent from Planet Claire using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

chrishaynesusa

• thenewx
  • 4wd Pts: -35
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »
I was the guinea pig for the first 2nd gen bumpers form Calmini.
As I pushed him for a delivery time he told me that I'll get it to you when I feel you can depend on it with your life.
and not until.

He also told me he does not want it to fail as I am hanging by a winch line over a cliff or ledge.

Jeff Arabia also modified my front bumper after I body lifted it

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b562/chrishaynesusa/IMAG0977_zps127ed94a.jpg
Off road bumpers

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b562/chrishaynesusa/IMAG0986_zps534d3c94.jpg
Off road bumpers

This is a gusset to support the links that anchor my bumper(upper area)

Dont just have someone build you a front bumper that bolts to front frame horns.

it is not enough and the bumper will tilt or bend under load. ( probably f'up your fenders as well.) (see Hefty threads)

Just my .02 YMMV

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 07:14:03 PM »
Second your .02.    We have stories from GoneMoab about rigs in a dire situation and the bumper failing (at least bending).
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 07:55:44 AM »
Here's my buddy being winched up John Bull. Notice the gap forming around his pass fender and bumper.