Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Bradshaw Trail - Feb 28th-Mar 1st **Completed**  (Read 116972 times)

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
Re: Bradshaw Trail - Feb 28th-Mar 1st **Updated 2/21/15**
« Reply #390 on: February 23, 2015, 02:10:19 PM »
On the nom front, is there cause for me to bring my propane BBQ?  Will anyone be bringing animal protein or want to grill veggies?

Steve, I'll be bringing my sandwiches pre-made in a cooler, but if you bring the stove, that would be great: I can warm the sandwiches up and have them fresh. I can bring my own pan.

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #391 on: February 23, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »
Hey look what I found.   Does this look like a good map??  If so, I like it.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/socalx46/BradshawTrailSCCX2010_zpse6f8h2kv.jpg
Bradshaw Trail - Feb 28th-Mar 1st **Completed**
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #392 on: February 23, 2015, 03:33:40 PM »
Steve, I'll be bringing my sandwiches pre-made in a cooler, but if you bring the stove, that would be great: I can warm the sandwiches up and have them fresh. I can bring my own pan.

I'll definitely have the camp chef two burner traditional stove.

The question I'm wondering is if I should bring the perfect flame table top propane BBQ grill? 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #393 on: February 23, 2015, 04:03:14 PM »
Hey look what I found.   Does this look like a good map??  If so, I like it.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab225/socalx46/BradshawTrailSCCX2010_zpse6f8h2kv.jpg
Bradshaw Trail - Feb 28th-Mar 1st **Completed**

This is pretty accurate, except we will be passing the Government Pass exit, and heading on to Wiley Well Road for our exit from Bradshaw to I-10 west Terry.  Nice find, this is Paul Claxton's map from one of his Bradshaw Xcursions.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #394 on: February 23, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »
Just a few random thoughts for the group to consider...

Well gents...looking at the 10 day forecast for Blythe, CA, we have windy conditions but no rain on Saturday day/evening. 

20-30 mph gusts during the day...10-20 mph in the evenings.

I wouldn't worry about rain for this trip, but wind can make for some interesting conditions.  Think about your tent stakes...if they are the stock small aluminum variety, I recommend "upgrading" to the metal stake style available at your local Big 5/Sport Chalet/Sports Authority.

Also helpful for those stakes in the rocky/sandy conditions, is a nice dead blow hammer, bright orange available at your local Harbor Freight.  Not the big guy, but the small one.  Makes quick work of tent stakes.

We all know it "loves the lotion on the skin," but seriously, think about lip balm and some basic lotion/sunscreen for the dry conditions you will be encountering.  Insert obligatory lotion joke HERE:

We may want to bump the firewood count to two bundles per attendee, as a wind driven/blown campfire can use more fuel than normal.

Steve C. - to answer your table top BBQ question, if you wish to bring it, feel free.  Just not sure it is necessary?

Thinking logistically about the campsite for Saturday night...

I'd like to make the campfire/kitchen area a centralized location...think Mojave Road. 

We will take a small double track trail off of The Gas Line Road from The Bradshaw Trail to camp. 

When Daphne and I scouted the location, we were thinking about 15 trucks.  25-26 trucks is a few more...there is plenty of room, if everyone remembers that you can camp away from the campfire and walk to it. 

Setting up a couple of tables for food prep/serving area will be important (I have two folding aluminum tables), as well as Steve's Camp Chef for the spaghetti feed etc. shouldn't be an issue.

In my opinion, the EZ up's could be better served as extra tables for food service and preparation?  Thoughts?

Erik - what consideration do you need for your Dutch Ovens, proximity to coals of a fire/serving area?

The provided fire ring is big enough, and we can move rocks back to increase if necessary.

Could I please get a couple of volunteers for folding camp/banquet tables for food prep for the potlucks?

Maybe even three if folks have some extra packing room?

Could everyone also bring one extra bundle of wood...two for each group for the fire on Saturday night?

Thanks!
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #395 on: February 23, 2015, 05:27:28 PM »
John I will bring a my camp table.    And two bundles of wood and the camera.    ;)
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

FBinSD

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #396 on: February 23, 2015, 05:51:51 PM »
I can bring a table also.
2012 Frontier pro4x

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #397 on: February 23, 2015, 07:11:16 PM »
John I will bring a my camp table.    And two bundles of wood and the camera.    ;)

Thanks Terry...I will bring a suitable photo subject.  :D

I can bring a table also.

Thanks!
KD6DCI

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #398 on: February 23, 2015, 07:20:21 PM »
I will be bringing my aluminum camp table it's about 4x3
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #399 on: February 24, 2015, 12:31:04 AM »
As far as what I need for the Dutch oven, I would like a semi level piece of real estate and about three medium sized rocks, that's it. Total cooking time I need might be about 40+ minutes once I get the coals hot. If we get a big open camp spot maybe a circle the wagons routine might work well with this large of a group. Set up tents or whatever inside the circle by their truck and the fire in the center. That makes it easy for folks to find their camp spots in case they wander off to go get rid of some rented beer in the night. Easy to help keep an eye on the children and animals as well.
Isaiah 6:8

Motorpig77

• 4wd Pts: 31
« Reply #400 on: February 24, 2015, 02:18:17 AM »
I'll make sure I bring my camp table as well, it is about a 5 x 3 foot table.  I will also load up as much extra room as i can with firewood...Celt, if possible, maybe I can make a trip out to your dad's place thursday during the day to grab a bundle of the wood we cut up a couple months ago...any thoughts?

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #401 on: February 24, 2015, 03:33:41 AM »
I'll make sure I bring my camp table as well, it is about a 5 x 3 foot table.  I will also load up as much extra room as i can with firewood...Celt, if possible, maybe I can make a trip out to your dad's place thursday during the day to grab a bundle of the wood we cut up a couple months ago...any thoughts?

Sure go for it, just give me a call so I can let him know you are going after it. If you want you can always come up the night before and camp at his place then drive down with the rest of us. Either way, up to you.
Isaiah 6:8

Motorpig77

• 4wd Pts: 31
« Reply #402 on: February 24, 2015, 04:17:11 AM »
Awesome.  I will let you know for sure thursday.  I would love to camp out thursday night, but kids have to be in school on Friday and girlfriend could only get half a day off.  I am going to head out to Joshua Tree Friday afternoon and hopefully will be at Cottonwood Campsite by 4pm.  Thanks!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #403 on: February 24, 2015, 06:52:08 AM »
I will be bringing my aluminum camp table it's about 4x3

Thanks Jay!  :)

Thanks Clint!  :)

As far as what I need for the Dutch oven, I would like a semi level piece of real estate and about three medium sized rocks, that's it. Total cooking time I need might be about 40+ minutes once I get the coals hot. If we get a big open camp spot maybe a circle the wagons routine might work well with this large of a group. Set up tents or whatever inside the circle by their truck and the fire in the center. That makes it easy for folks to find their camp spots in case they wander off to go get rid of some rented beer in the night. Easy to help keep an eye on the children and animals as well.

Great info. Erik...we can expand the existing fire ring with a special "Dutch Oven" section.

Might be a challenge to get 20+ rigs into a circle, let's assess upon arrival.

How does this sound...arrive, rigs situated, tents/bedding set up, prolly 30-45 minutes.  Delegate a fire starter during that time to get some early coal prep for everyone that needs to get ovens cooking.

Steve...once our tents are set up, lets focus on the Camp Chef set up and get the pasta pot boiling and sauce simmering.  My plan is to pre-cook and freeze packets of spaghetti sauce in 1G Ziploc bags, then defrost Fri/Sat and just simmer down when ready.

Hopefully we can have dinner about set to serve with table set ups, side dish display etc. in around 90 minutes?

Alex...I know a couple folks will be bringing stoves, so a BLT warm up/pre prep won't be an issue for you.  We can cover this Friday night at Cottonwood.  :)

Could I please ask those that are bringing side dishes, to also pack serving utensils?  Large plastic/wood serving spoons, tongs, etc.?  Thank you!  :)

KD6DCI

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #404 on: February 24, 2015, 08:23:25 AM »

Steve...once our tents are set up, lets focus on the Camp Chef set up and get the pasta pot boiling and sauce simmering.  My plan is to pre-cook and freeze packets of spaghetti sauce in 1G Ziploc bags, then defrost Fri/Sat and just simmer down when ready.

Whatever works, John.  I'm getting pretty good at setting the Camp Chef up (4 legs and a propane connection and it's ready to go)

Point at a spot on the ground and I will get it set up. 

Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)