Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Saturday 20 Nov 2010 - 5th Annual Fish Creek & (What's Left Of) Sandstone Canyon  (Read 58378 times)

FrankB

It's getting to be that time of year again - time for the 5th Annual SCCX Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon Apple Pie Extravaganza. (I didn't make that "extravaganza" name up, by the way. I think Marty came up with it a few years ago.)

Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon - Anza Borrego Desert State Park

Saturday, November 20th, 2010

Meet Time / Spot: 10:00AM at the Anza Borrego Desert State Park Visitor Center
200 Palm Canyon Drive
Borrego Springs, CA 92004

Fish Creek is a little over 12 miles of mostly flat sandy wash, with lots of interesting geology along the way. Sandstone Canyon used to be another 2+ miles, very narrow and twisty in places, with high rock walls. Sandstone Canyon was blocked partway up by a large rock fall during the earthquake on Easter Sunday, so we won
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:01:01 PM by FrankB »

FrankB

For those who are new to SCCX, or have not been on this trip before, or have not been to Anza Borrego before, here's a bit more info. Also, if you have not yet read the Xcursion Guidelines, now might be a good time.

Xcursion Guidelines

- The meet spot is at the Anza Borrego State Park Visitor Center. If you have not been there before you may want to get there early and wander into the Center itself to take a quick look around, and pick up the free map/brochure that they have (or buy a guidebook and/or map, the proceeds go to a good cause). There are real rest rooms at the Visitor Center. After that it's the vault toilets at Fish Creek Primitive Camp, and then it

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
Yes - the rangers are very intense.

If a line of cars is coming at you at a high rate of speed in a wide open wash devoid of any vegetation you are apparently required to have a head on collision rather than yield a bit into the wash for on coming traffic.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

strikedistance

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Diesel 4x4
Cant wait!!! The trip is a lot of fun!!! Who all is planning on camping??? I know i am!!!

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
I'll be there, and I'm staying overnight as well! :)

boomer818

• 4wd Pts: 2
  • Dirty White Knight
Me and the wife or the brother in-law will be there but most likely just for Saturday. At least for now, but we will see as the date gets closer.
If you dont have mud you have nothing.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
I will be there as well, probably just the day trip portion of the Xcursion.

At least one guest, possibly two more.  Frank, let me know, and I can help with some $$$ for the crusted treats.

Thanks for putting this run together.

John

Link to photos and trip report from last years Pie Run:  http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php/topic,606.0.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:55:53 AM by GhostX »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Brian (#2)

• 4wd Pts: 2
Just got back to San Diego...looking forward to making a run.  I should know by the 15th if I can make this one.

I haven't been wheeling since January so I'm dying to get back out there.  I'll be at Corral Canyon on the 10th for the day though. 

FrankB

Just got back to San Diego...looking forward to making a run.  I should know by the 15th if I can make this one.

I haven't been wheeling since January so I'm dying to get back out there.  I'll be at Corral Canyon on the 10th for the day though. 

Brian, welcome back.

FrankB

. . . .
Link to photos and trip report from last years Pie Run:  http://www.sccxterra.com/smf/index.php/topic,606.0.html

Actually, that link is to some pics from one of a couple of trips I made out there earlier this year, that one a week before the earthquake (I was also there earlier that same week, but with just my X, no other vehicles).  Here is a link to the pics from last year's Xcursion. It has pics from several different people in it.

2009 Fish Creek / Sandstone Canyon

andyman

hoping to go out there with a few guests.    :)
Most likely be caravaning from LA (LAX area) with Bruce. (strikeddistance)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Frank,  I won't be able to make this run as expected.  :(

A personal obligation has come up (birthday) and I will have to excuse myself.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
I ought to be able to make this run.  ;D
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

FrankB

Heather and took a drive out to Sandstone Canyon today with some friends.  First the good news - we can get to our usual lunch spot. Now the better news - we can still drive through that really narrow deep channel section with the big rock right in the middle of the path. It's about 1/4 - 1/2 mile past the lunch spot.  For those who have not been out there since last November, I don't think this particular rock was there then.  It comes really close to blocking the path, but there is just enough room to get around it.  Now the bad news - at about 1.4 miles there are some really big rocks blocking the path - that's the new end of Sandstone Canyon. We've lost about a mile of driveable canyon. I could see where someone did try to drive through, and I imagine with the right vehicle, lots of skill, and maybe no regard for damage, you could do it. The turn-around point is about 13.6 miles from the start of the trail at the end of Split Mountain Road. It's a little tight, so if we have a large group we'll need to be careful and not get too packed in.

It was really nice out there today. A lot of sand has been washed down Fish Creek, and there were several new rock and mud falls that were not there in March. On the way back we took Loop Wash, and I think we'll do that again on the 20th.  It is definitely the "road less traveled" compared to Fish Creek, and very scenic.

We saw a black or night armor 2nd Gen Xterra parked about 10 miles up Fish Creek. Not sure if it's anyone here, but I did leave a flyer on the windshield.

I'll post some pictures up in the Pics section a bit later.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:08:03 PM by FrankB »

strikedistance

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Diesel 4x4
Well im not sure if I am going to be able to make this run...unless I come late. I have a manditory IST in the morning that I can't miss. I might be able to meet you out in the desert but I know I most likely can't get out to the desert before 2.
I am pretty bumbed but it happens. I will let you know more details as time gets closer.
Bruce