Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Saturday 20 Nov 2010 - 5th Annual Fish Creek & (What's Left Of) Sandstone Canyon  (Read 58421 times)

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
Fred, are you going to be there?  It's been a long time.

Hi Frank!

It's unfortunate that I'm gonna miss this run. The turnout is usually pretty good just like in the past.

It's been waaay too long Frank! After Thanksgiving, I should be back with the club!

Just a friendly advisory, the weather seems like it's going to be pleasant with temperatures between 45%-68%. There's a slight chance of precipitation over the weekend  (about 10% as of today) in the area so please be mindful of low lying areas at risk for sand, mud and flash floods.

Other than that... have a blast everyone!
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

ArchX

• 4wd Pts: 7
Frank, Actually,I think I am in for this event. 1+ 0 = 1 + truck  8)
I plan to camp as well, Sat,.
I was going to bring wife and 3 1/2 year old but doesen't seem like the trip for that ( no other kids, rock debris on trail and possible rain..  )
Am thinking Santa Ysabel @ 9:00am..  Might add a pie to passenger seat.. 

NUBEX

• 4wd Pts: 1
I was very surprised to find that the Fish Creek Wash is listed as a local road on the official California DOT government maps!  see the attached excerpt of the map; Am I wrong? Is this road or off-road? It is not rural, it is not urban; it's in the green area - but green area is not defined! So, what is it?
the web site where the map is located is http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/tsip/hseb/crs_maps/maplinks/17x/17x.pdf

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:13:51 PM by NUBEX »
the name is classified

FrankB

Frank, Actually,I think I am in for this event. 1+ 0 = 1 + truck  8)
I plan to camp as well, Sat,.
I was going to bring wife and 3 1/2 year old but doesen't seem like the trip for that ( no other kids, rock debris on trail and possible rain..  )
Am thinking Santa Ysabel @ 9:00am..  Might add a pie to passenger seat.. 

Mark, there generally are spouses and kids along for this one, since it's an easy trail and as much a social gathering as it is an off-road trip (at least that's what it's been in the past).  I don't know for sure who else will have kids though.  We're not going to be climbing over any rock debris unless something happens while we're out there.  Rain? 

See you in Santa Ysabel.

XterraDude

No one is planning on going out on Friday Night? :(

ArchX

• 4wd Pts: 7
Hmm..  ok, might consider bringin daughter, she's pretty tough actually,  set on being a fireman.. so far(her and 7 nieborhood boys were that for Halloween..  :)
See you at Santa Ysabel accompanied or not.. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:43:46 PM by ArchX »

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
i shall be attending this shindig.  easy trails will allow me to test out my 33's and see what i need to hit with a sledge hammer to make them not rub :)
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

FrankB

. . . .  Is this road or off-road? It is not rural, it is not urban; it's in the green area - but green area is not defined! So, what is it? . . . .

It's the middle of the desert, that's what it is.  The green on that map is probably the boundaries of Anza Borrego Desert State Park.  Don't let the color on the map fool you, there is not a lot of greenery out there.

Actually, Fish Creek Wash does show up on my Garmin maps, and is shown on all of the paper maps I have as well.  I think even Sandstone Canyon shows up on all my maps.  From the end of Split Mountain Road the route is unpaved.  It is generally an easy trail, probably rated 1 or 2 on scale of 1-10, with 10 being the most difficult.  I strongly suggest 4WD because of a few spots where there is soft sand right before some rocks, and 2WD tends to dig holes in that sort of situation.

A couple of years ago the first response to the Fish Creek run thread was something like "Why such an easy trail?". As in "why can't we go someplace challenging?".  Well, I happen to like this place, and since I'm setting it up, I get to choose where.  In the end, everyone said they had a great time, even though it was not at all challenging or technical.  Maybe they just said that because they didn't want to hurt my feelings.  Or, maybe driving though a slot canyon maybe 10 feet wide and 150 feet deep in places was pretty cool.  If you want to see what it looks like there is no shortage of pictures here and on my blog.

Since you brought up the question "is this road or off-road" I will take this opportunity to remind everyone that the rangers do take quite seriously the concept of staying on the trail.  Even though Fish Creek is pretty wide in places, this is not an OHV area, and we are expected to stay on the established trail, and not cut new tracks across the desert, even if only for a short distance.  Paul can tell you all about how I had to talk the ranger out of arresting him last time. (Okay, maybe not arrest, but he did threaten to cite him.) It was an interesting conversation (and thank you again to whoever it was who pointed me out to the ranger), and it may well have been just a combination of an inexperienced ranger and a lot of people out there.  In Paul's defense, I didn't think he had done anything wrong either. 

Basically this will be a nice leisurely drive (with stops along the way) up a sandy Fish Creek Wash until we find a suitable lunch spot, then we'll go explore what is left of Sandstone Canyon.  We come back out the same way, with a detour through Loop Wash on the way back if it's not too late.

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
Alex, isn't that on the east side of I-15?
Doh! East, thank you. I see what you mean; that would be easier with the flow of traffic. The In-n-Out on the 79 would work better as a meeting place:

In-n-Out
30697 Temecula Parkway
Temecula, CA 92592

Meet at 8:00, leave at 8:15

Thanks! I'll update the first post.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:37:08 AM by Alex »

NUBEX

Frank, sorry for the misunderstanding, I am completely on your side, easy is good for us, that was not my point.  I was just surprised that a natural dead end wash , where the government doesn't have to do anything, and probably does not do anything (no signs, no maintenance, I don't know what else... ) gets to be claimed as a public road! And the key thing to a public road vs private road vs off road, is that a driver license is required on public roads.  I just hate the *** government and the idea to go somewhere where their rules are less numerous is just enchanting to me.  Yes, probably the green is the park, I was under no illusion that it would be in any way related to vegetation, of course not. I liked a bunch of your pictures from the various web sites; see you all on staurday.  
the name is classified

Kyle J. Thompson

• 4wd Pts: 5
I am a Definite Maybe... ??? lol I may bring 2 guests (doubtful though) and a cute pooch. Will know by friday,for sure.

Alex id carpool with you, comming from murrieta (such a long drive to temecula  :P)

NUBEX

Frank, it looks like you are absolutely right about staying on the trail and possibly encountering rangers: in the 3rd chapter of the "Anza-Borrego Desert SP General Plan"  ( http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=21314 and http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/21299/files/final--03plan.pdf ) the following information related to vehicles can be found:
"3.2.4.4 Backcountry Zone (BZ)
Overview
This zone provides the most freedom to the visitor, with fewer regulations governing camping.
Typically, vehicles are allowed to park adjacent to roads ([for some exceptions] see first paragraph of the Wilderness Zone
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:47:01 AM by NUBEX »
the name is classified

FrankB

Nubex, you must be having trouble sleeping to voluntarily read the State Park General Plan.  ;D  That kind of stuff can be awfully boring.  I remember reading part of an older version once when I was trying to find information about old military usage of the area around Military Wash and Fault Wash, and it was painful to read. I guess reading anything written by lawyers who get paid by the minute is going to be painful.

Interesting about the one car width versus one car length - I was not aware of that exactly.  I think the main thing is to just be sensitive to the area, tread lightly, etc.

In any event, there is a lot of cool scenery out there, including some amazing geology. Several So Cal colleges bring field trips of geology students out there every year, we may see some on Saturday. It's interesting to listen to the professors.  We'll make a few stops along the route to check some of that out.

boomer818

• 4wd Pts: 2
  • Dirty White Knight
Alex about what time will you be at the In n Out Saturday? I might be able to meet up there.
If you dont have mud you have nothing.

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
I'll be there at 8:00, leaving at 8:15: that should give us ample time to head down there.
Aside, there's a Mobil right off of the I15 on Temecula Parkway if anyone needs to top off.

Alex id carpool with you, comming from murrieta (such a long drive to temecula  :P)
Haha! :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 10:43:17 AM by Alex »