Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Saturday 20 Nov 2010 - 5th Annual Fish Creek & (What's Left Of) Sandstone Canyon  (Read 58415 times)

boomer818

• 4wd Pts: 2
  • Dirty White Knight
FUBAR, I was just told I need to come in tomarrow for work A.O.G. turbine need to get completed and shipped to Iraq by tomarrow. Nubex if you like call me for the plastic cleaner and polisher I will ship them to you. I'm sorry guys with i could have been there.  :(
If you dont have mud you have nothing.

FrankB

So this is a yearly run? Does this club do monthly runs as well?

I just sort of made up that "5th Annual . . ." name (with a little help). It's just sort of evolved over the years, from an impromptu get together with 6 or 7 of us the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2006, to a little bigger in 2007, to really big in 2008 and 2009. This thing has always been more of a social gathering than a trail run, except that we drive 12-14 miles of scenic desert to get to the lunch spot.

As a rule we've tried to do monthly runs, on the third weekend of the month. Over the last year or so that has not always happened, as peoples life situations have changed, and people have wandered in and out of the group. Runs have ranged from really easy to quite challenging, and everything in between.

By the way - nice photos on your website. You guys look like you do good work.  Where are you based?

FrankB

REGARDING THE WEATHER

It's hard to say what it is actually going to be like out there tomorrow - the NWS is showing 50% chance of rain, and it looks like it could be quite windy.  The San Diego media looks like they're getting ready to trot out their "Storm of the Century" graphics - but they always seem to overhype stuff.

In any event, we are still on, of course.  If it looks like it is going to be too wet in Fish Creek then we'll think about going someplace else where we can find a nice spot for lunch. Who knows, maybe we'll just stretch some tarps over part of the lawn at the little park in the center of town. We can always spend some time checking out the various life-size steel sculptures of the prehistoric animals that used to live out there. They are pretty cool looking when wet.

If anyone is planning to meet us at other than the Visitor Center please be sure to check in with me by phone around 10:30AM so I can let you know if we change plans.

scottmen

• 4wd Pts: 12
21 trucks really!?!

heck yeah

FrankB

21 trucks really!?!

heck yeah

Had an amusing phone conversation with the ranger station in Anza Borrego this afternoon.

Me: Hi, a group of us are going to out to Fish Creek tomorrow, just wondering if there is anything new with the weather or other trail conditions we should know about?

Ranger: Nothing new, we did have another little earthquake, but no problems. . . Lots of earthquakes lately. . . Rain should not really be a problem . . . but  . . . . how big of a group? 

Me: Oh, I don't know really. Probably not real big.

Ranger:  Not more than 25 trucks?

Me: Oh, I'm sure it won't be anywhere near that many. . . Thanks. Bye.

Who knew, apparently 25 is some sort of magic number out there when it comes to group size. This is the first I've heard of this.

NUBEX

• 4wd Pts: 1
more than 25 trucks should not be a problem: we would just tell the ranger that there are two groups that he's looking at :o; i hope there is no magic number when it comes to counting groups :-\

i'm glad to hear that the ranger thinks the rain will not be a problem: my wife was ready to bail out, but the kinds words of the ranger melted away her fear.  
i say, more rain, more mud, more fun!
do we have a plan B?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:39:56 PM by NUBEX »
the name is classified

NateDawgG

• 4wd Pts: 0
I just sort of made up that "5th Annual . . ." name (with a little help). It's just sort of evolved over the years, from an impromptu get together with 6 or 7 of us the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2006, to a little bigger in 2007, to really big in 2008 and 2009. This thing has always been more of a social gathering than a trail run, except that we drive 12-14 miles of scenic desert to get to the lunch spot.

As a rule we've tried to do monthly runs, on the third weekend of the month. Over the last year or so that has not always happened, as peoples life situations have changed, and people have wandered in and out of the group. Runs have ranged from really easy to quite challenging, and everything in between.

By the way - nice photos on your website. You guys look like you do good work.  Where are you based?

Cool! I can't believe I've been an active member of ClubXterra.org since 2006 and this is the first I've heard of you guys. I'm really stoked to find a club in my area.

And thanks for the props on our work. We're based in LA but seem to be doing a lot of work on the East Coast these days.

Looks like we won't be able to make tomorrow, but hopefully the next one.

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
Yep, the Temecula meet is now at the Temecula Parkway In-n-Out, 8 AM tomorrow.

FrankB

more than 25 trucks should not be a problem: we would just tell the ranger that there are two groups that he's looking at :o; i hope there is no magic number when it comes to counting groups :-\

i'm glad to hear that the ranger thinks the rain will not be a problem: my wife was ready to bail out, but the kinds words of the ranger melted away her fear.  
i say, more rain, more mud, more fun!
do we have a plan B?

Personally, driving and sloshing around in mud does nothing for me. I've never understood why people like that, but that's just me. I'm not expecting a lot of water, but who knows. We make no representations as to anything when it comes to these runs. Trails change, weather happens, easy becomes difficult, whatever. We're just a a bunch of folks with a common interest getting together to go exploring. Ultimately it's your own responsibility for what you do or what happens to you.  All that said, it should be fun out there tomorrow.

As for a Plan B - I've got a few ideas if needed.

NUBEX

I've never understood why people like that
I've never driven in the mud, but I saw some clips online and the people playing in the mud seemed to have fun.  It made me not be so afraid of mud, especially when I'll be with an experienced group of some 20 X drivers.  Maybe it's not fun  :-[, who knows?

We make no representations as to anything when it comes to these runs. Trails change, weather happens, easy becomes difficult, whatever. We're just a a bunch of folks with a common interest getting together to go exploring. Ultimately it's your own responsibility for what you do or what happens to you.  
I will blame no one but me ;) bad me
the name is classified

Kyle J. Thompson

• 4wd Pts: 5
wow, figures...night before i get called off to work....So im out...I let scott know...

Sorry Im supper pissed...was looking forward to 20 rigs on the trail.....

FrankB

I've never driven in the mud, but I saw some clips online and the people playing in the mud seemed to have fun.  It made me not be so afraid of mud, especially when I'll be with an experienced group of some 20 X drivers.  Maybe it's not fun  :-[, who knows?
 I will blame no one but me ;) bad me

Nubex - I'm just messing with you since I don't know your real name (apparently it's classified or something).  And, I do have to admit that if I was driving someone else's truck (and didn't have to clean it after) I could have fun driving in mud.  Unfortunately, I still have bad flashbacks to that time Tom lead us through that really awful smelling muddy Vallecito Creek.  I think it took a week to get all the crap off truck (some of it stayed longer) and the smell seemed to linger on for about 2 weeks.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
sadly i dont think ill be making it to this trip, something came up and im going to have to pass.  i was looking forward to meeting a bunch of you to put some faces to names. maybe the next one.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

NUBEX

i was just thinking that i should wear a name badge/sticker today; otherwise, regarding the absence of the name online, i'm just afraid to have my name out in the cyberworld; it's a pretty irrational fear, i know, so what?
yes, my wife said the same thing about rain and mud: it just creates another thing to clean!

the name is classified

Goldfish

• 4wd Pts: 16
Mud or no mud, have fun out there today. I'm off to Hesperia to pick up a military trailer I bought off of Graig's List.
Don

Kill the headlights and put it in neutral.