Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Meet Stealth X :-)  (Read 10269 times)

onewaysoldier

• 4wd Pts: 3
    • 2001 XE - SAS'd
Meet Stealth X :-)
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:01:25 PM »
So, I've got a new name for the X after a recent paint job. Stealth X.

Work was really slow a couple weeks ago so I took most of the week off and decided to paint the X...  Having never painted a vehicle before I figured "What better time than the present to learn something new."  Well, as is the case with most projects I choose to tackle, it took about 2x as long as I originally estimated and cost 1.5x as much budgeted.  Fortunately, I've become acustom to my own underestimating and fortunately and planned for 2x the time and almost 2x the $$$.  Was able to finish the project in the exact amount of time I had to work that week.   Needless to say, I don't think I'll try painting a vehicle (outdoors) again in the near future.  Made plenty of mistakes but took the time to correct.

I've still got to pull and paint the front bumper and make a front grill.  But those should be done by the end of the week... Another very slow week.
Going to do a small photo shoot with the X at night once the front end is finished up.  Then it's time to take her out on the trail and beat her up a bit.
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4749/img20110215150432.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/8026/img20110215150447.jpg

Here's what the X looked like 3 days after bringing her home 5.5 years ago.
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/128/img3014d.jpg
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:24:35 PM by onewaysoldier »
I'm trying to figure out something witty.

4x4forfun

• 4wd Pts: 6
Re: Meet Stealth X :-)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:56:11 AM »
You should of just rhinolined the whole thing
But he said it was stock friendly!!

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:59:46 AM »
Nice job!  I like the way it looks without the side trim.  Did you use bondo to fill in the holes or liquid nails?  That's the first time I've seen your truck and I think it is the first X I've seen without the rear bumper side plastic.  Quite a difference from when you bought it.

onewaysoldier

• 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:06:19 AM »
You should of just rhinolined the whole thing

Thought about doing LineX on the whole thing but I couldn't throw down the $$$ for it.  LineX wanted $600 for just the bumpers and sliders.  If I remember correctly, they were asking for $700 for the body if I brought it in all prepped.  So, I opted for the "DIY" $600 for everything version... Which turned into the $800 DIY version.

onewaysoldier

• 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »
Nice job!  I like the way it looks without the side trim.  Did you use bondo to fill in the holes or liquid nails?  That's the first time I've seen your truck and I think it is the first X I've seen without the rear bumper side plastic.  Quite a difference from when you bought it.

The side trim is rubber and uses an adhesive on it.  A heat gun, lot of goo-be-gone, and razor blade with take the side trim right off.  Took about an hour on each side.  No more plastic panels on the outside of this X :-)  Just a bunch of excessively heavy steel.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:04:23 PM by onewaysoldier »

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »
Heat and dental floss also works well to remove trim pieces like that.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:09:37 PM »
Your Xterra looks great!

Did you ever get the radio installed?

With that lift are you still planning on attending GoneMoab this year?  Your truck would have no problem with any of the green or blue trails on the list.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

onewaysoldier

• 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 12:37:38 AM »
Your truck would have no problem with any of the green or blue trails on the list.

I'm not trying to be prideful here, but I'd be willing to give a Red a try too.  :-)

Trying to get the time off work and figure out finances and lodging.  Going to try and come if I can.

I've been working on a new center console for a couple months, close to being finished.  The HAM is mounted in the new console.  Might have it installed w/n the month.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 06:23:36 AM »
I'm not trying to be prideful here, but I'd be willing to give a Red a try too.  :-)

I like it...fun to watch you try!  Do you have a rear locker?  Might give your new paint job a run for it's money!  ;)

There are several twin beds in condos available for $250 for the week, if you can't commit to that much time, leave Wednesday and come out for Thursday, Friday, Saturday.  I will be caravaning back to S.D. on Saturday spending the night with a couple of other Cali Xterra guys.  Last year gas for the trip cost me just under $400 for the trip, and I camped for $29 a night at Canyonlands RV park in a tent.  They also rent really nice one room cabins for $59 a night, and there is a Super 8 Motel on the north side of town that is nice too. 

Really hope you can make it.  :)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

onewaysoldier

• 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 10:50:55 AM »
Do you have a rear locker?  Might give your new paint job a run for it's money!  ;)

Don't a rear locker yet... But might have something in the works...  Not sure what I'm allowed to say just yet.

And with regards to paint.  I just need it looking good for a photo shoot in about a week.  After that, you'll see no tears from me when I bump into a rocks here or there.  If I wanted a pretty off-road vehicle I would have bought Hummer or Jeep;-) I'm not afraid to take a challenging line, just going to try really hard not to roll over again :-)